Meat Slicer Buying Guide
A meat slicer is a device used in cutting meats, sausages and other kinds of food products. They eliminate the stress and effort that is usually required for the same process to be completed manually with the use of a knife. They are also called slicers or slicing machine.
Reasons To Buy A Meat Slicer:
- Efficiency: Meat Slicers are faster and produce better results than when using the hand and a knife to slice meats and other food products.
- Ease of Use: Meat Slicers create an easier and safer process of cutting meats and other food products.
- Uniformity: Meat Slicers ensure you create similar results when slicing meats and other food products, especially in the area of thickness.
- Thinner Slices Possible: Meat Slicers make it possible to cut meats and other food products into small sizes that cannot be easily achieved using the hand and a knife.
- Cost-Effectiveness: It is more cost-effective to get your meat and food products cut by yourself, rather than buying already cut food products from the grocery store.
- Versatility: Though called a meat slicer, it can do much more. It can also cut other food products such as potatoes and onions into smaller pieces.
Types of Meat Slicers:
There are different types of meat slicers. You can make your choice depending on your needs and preference. These types are:
- Manual Meat Slicers: As the name implies, this type of meat slicers are operated using the hand, and therefore have no use for electricity. They are slower and less efficient than electric meat slicers.
- Electric (Automatic) Meat Slicers: The electric meat slicers depend on electricity to function. They are called automatic because all you need to do is place the meat or food products on the slicer, then switch on the device. They are efficient and quite affordable.
- Flywheel Meat Slicers: These meat slicers operate by wheel and are hand-cranked. They are used for professional slicing processes. Some can also function automatically.
Differences in Types of Meat Slicers:
- Blade Size: Meat Slicers also come with different blade sizes; entry-level meat slicer blades usually are between 9 to 10 inches while those designed for professional use would be about 12 to 14 inches.
- Horse Power: The more the horsepower of a meat slicer, the more it can perform efficiently.
- Cut Thickness: Meat Slicers are designed with options for the level of thickness the slices would have. These options would meet the different needs and preferences of buyers.
- Gravity vs Vertical Feed: Vertical slicers produce more precise results than gravity slicers which are built to mildly push the meat against the blade.
- Belt Vs Gear Driven: Meat Slicers can either be belt-driven or gear driven. Belt driven may only require a change of belt during repairs but gear driven meat slicers would need more.
Factors To Consider When Buying A Meat Slicer:
- Cost: You need to consider the cost of the meat slicer you want to purchase and compare it with the qualities it offers. Also, if a slicer designed for home use fits your needs, it would not be cost-effective to spend more money on buying one built for commercial use. However, it would also be wise to spend more money buying a meat slicer that would prove to be durable in the long run.
- Power And Speed: The power supplied by the motor designed for the meat slicer would determine how effective and precise the results would be. Again, you need to ensure that the meat slicer can bear the burden of the work you intend to use it for, without breaking down.
- Versatility: Though these devices are called meat slicers, they can also function as food slicers; slicing other food products. You should make sure the meat slicer you intend buying can also work on other food products such as bread and cheese. This way, you are assured of more value for your money.
- Durability: For most people buying a device, durability is one of the most important factors that is considered before making a decision. You have to check that the meat slicer you want to buy can serve you for a long time. Your decision in this regard should not only be dependent on how expensive it is or the promise of quality it gives. Rather, you can deduce how long it would last from customer’s feedback and reviews.
- Noise Control: When buying a meat slicer, you would need to consider the level of noise that can be tolerated by you and others who would likely be around you when you use the device. If it becomes clear you need a meat slicer that produces very low noise when using it, ensure you get that type.
- Ease of Use: When deciding which meat slicer to buy, ensure it can make the process of slicing meat and other food products easier. If the process is complicated, then it beats one of the major reasons meat slicers were designed in the first place.
- Safety: Meat slicing involves the use of a blade and can become a risky process if you do not apply caution while using this device. Meat slicers are designed to be easily taken apart when cleaning. Select one which enables safe cleaning rather than meat slicers that don’t.
- Size: When purchasing a meat slicer, one major factor you need to consider is the size. You would need to compare that with the space on the counter you intend placing it. You would also consider the sizes of meat and other food products you intend using it to slice.
How To Use A Meat Slicer
The following tips would help you with the use of your meat slicer:
- Study and follow instructions on the manual very carefully.
- Apply caution while using a meat slicer. Remember blades are involved.
- Make sure the meat is well placed before slicing.
- Switch on the meat slicer only when you are prepared to begin slicing.
- Do not make any attempt to feed the blades with meat using your hands.
- Always make sure the blades are cleaned and kept sharp.
5 Best Meat Slicers
Are you looking for the best slicers for your meat? Look no further, because everything you’re looking for is right here. We have taken our time to compile a list of the best just for you.
- Beswood 10″ Premium Meat Slicer
Beswood 10″ Premium Meat Slicer is truly one of the best in the market. With a chromium-plated carbon steel blade, this slicer quickly make a slices of anything you want.
Some of its top quality features include:
- A premium V-belt for reducing noise and vibrations in the slicer.
- A double illuminated switch to best avoid against shocks.
- Two stone blade sharpeners to help the edge of your blades it maintain its sharpness.
This slicer has one of the best reviews and is suitable for use in your home, as well as in commercial restaurants.
- Chef’s Choice 609 Premium Electric Food Slicer
This electric food slicer is as dubbed “The Chef’s Best Friend.” Quick, sharp and meat-friendly, the slicer eases through whatever you need it to slice- anything whatsoever.
Here are some of its unique features and qualities:
- It sells for a very pocket-friendly price
- Its compact design makes it most friendly for trips and events
- It is one of the most durable in the market
- Its 7” serrated blade can cut through any meat or cheese you want it to.
Besides all of these advantages, this meat slicer is easy to clean and maintain. Should you need a meat slicer soon, then you should probably consider getting them.
- Vevor 10″ Blade Commercial Deli Meat Cheese Food Slicer
This blade is definitely one of the best in the market. Its ability to slice through meat without ripping off the structure of the meat’s muscle fiber is one of its most remarkable qualities.
Here are some of its features:
- 240-watts power
- Inbuilt whetting stones
- Its components are easy to dismantle and clean.
- Nesco FS-250 180-watt Food Slicer
Nesco Food slice has dual safety features and an adjustable thickness control knob that can slice through anything you want it to. From Cheese, to bread to meat and all the vegetables in the kitchen.
Some of its features include:
- A cynical 8.7” stainless-steel blade that can be used to cut through the required ingredients of different sizes.
- A die cast aluminum housing
- A 180-watt motor
Its high performance makes it one of the best among the rest.
- Elite Gourmet EMT-503B Maxi-Matic 130 Watt Die-Cast-Aluminum Electric Food Slicer
Last of the meat slicers is the Elite Gourmet EMT-503B Maxi-Matic 130 Watt Die-Cast-Aluminum Electric Food Slicer. Don’t let the name scare you away. It’s actually one of the best. In the class of the elite meat slicers, it stands tall and has one of the most amazing features.
Here are just a few of them:
- A retractable and removable 7.5″ stainless steel blade
- An easy to control On/Off safe switch
- 130-watt of power supply
- Extremely durable qualities
- Die cast aluminum housing and easy to clean design
So if you’re looking for the best meat slicers in the market, then we advice you go for either of these five. Choosing the best meat slicers might be the first step you need to take your commercial business to the next level.